Title of the practice: Narir Bohumukhi Unnayanar Bheti Nirman (Creating the Foundation for Holistic Development of Young Women)
1. To work tirelessly for vocational, ethical, social, spiritual upliftment of women. A morally strong healthy and educated community is thus created through value-based higher education.
2. To create a strong base for holistic development of young women.
3. To go beyond traditional classroom teaching and inculcate life skills.
4. To empower women about their rights and responsibilities.
5. To work collectively for the educational, ethical, social, spiritual upliftment of women.
6. To create a morally strong healthy and educated community through value-based higher education.
7. To work for the emancipation of woman from all sorts of material and psychological barriers.
8. To make every family empowered by educating the girls from all strata. We believe that education
of a girl means the education of the family and education of the family means the education of the nation.
9. To facilitate the scope for socialization for the learners of different socio-economic backgrounds
by advocating learning through community participation.
10.To inculcate gender sensitization through activity based learning and value added curriculum.
11.To cultivate values and means for promoting environmental sensitization among the learners for a sustainable future. The Context: The institution caters to young women coming from various socio-cultural-economic backgrounds. The students gain access to wide-ranging and quality education for a brighter future in life. Many come from the politically volatile Assam-Nagaland border areas. A good number of Adivasi and tribal students also enroll themselves in the college. H. P. B. Girls’ College,maintains a robust foundation for holistic development of young women by going beyond traditional classroom teaching and inculcating life skills. Women are empowered about their rights and responsibilities. The institution works collectively for creating a conducive campus ambience to help learners from diverse socio-economic background to integrate themselves into community of sisterhood. Further,apart from teaching the regular curriculum as per the guidelines of the university, the College introduces different
courses such as: value added and vocational courses, training programmes, personality development workshop, coachingprogrammes for competitive examinations to name a few.
The Practice: This practice has many co-related and inter-linked segments.
The practice is a continuous one focusing on the entire tenure of a student in the institution.
1.Mentor-mentee system: • The college has established a robust and effective Student Mentoring Prorgamme
initiated and supported by the IQAC, H.P.B. Girls’ College.
• The student mentoring program is supervised by the Teacher Guardian Cell, IQAC. The Cell has a convener and
members from the teaching staff.
• All the faculty members are appointed by the cell as student mentors. After the commencement of a new academic year, each teacher is given charge
of 20 newly admitted students.
• Psychological Counseling Cell
• Career Counseling Cell
During an academic session, the College regularly holds Counseling sessions to carter to the needs of every individual learners with regard to
their career prospects and mental health. Interactive sessions with professional counsellors are arranged to help the young learners accordingly.
3. Programs of self-empowerment: To make the learners self-sustainable, various short term and long term training programmes are conducted by departments and cells of the college. This encourages young learners to cultivate capacity building in order to become self-independent in the near future.
4. Earn while You Learn initiative: To facilitate apprenticeship period for the aspiring learners to learn various skills,and to cultivate the work culture among the learners, the college has adopted the Earn While You Learn initiative. The central library and a few departments engage the students in book cataloging. The college buys banana leaves, flowers and gamocha from some students.
5.Value Education: To College is committed to promote value based education for all around development of the young learners.Taking inspiration from Ancient Indian texts of philosophy, teaching and learning, the college has incorporated several value based learning modules to impart core ideas of ethics, morality, integrity, social harmony, community values, sisterhood and nation building.
6. Outreach programmes to raise awareness on women related issues: The college undertakes several outreach programmes to raise awareness concerning various women related issue in its neighbourhood area through student participation. Awareness drives against Covid-19, domestic violence, menstrual hygiene, child care and nutrition are some of the activitiesconducted by the college in recent years.
7.Short-term courses and certificate programmes: In order to promote capacity building and enhance the hidden potential of the students, the college runs several short term courses and certificate programmes such as:Spoken English, Poultry Management,Beauty Therapy, Travel & Tourism, Cake Making, Desktop Publishing to name a few.
11.Scholarships and awards to the entry-level students to facilitate better performance: The College offers various scholarships and awards to encourage the meritorious students at the entry level to excel in their studies and co-scholastics areas. Some of the active scholarships and awards include: Bisheswar Memorial Award and Kamala Saikia Award.
12. Financial Aid to economically weaker students: The College has adequate provision to support meritorious students who apparently belong to the economically weaker sections of the society. One such scholarship is sponsored by the Teachers’ Unit of H.P.B. Girls’ College.
13. Financial Aid to students from marginal sections: The College also offers financial aid to students belonging to the marginal sections of the society to address the issue of drop out. One such scholarship is Purnimola Bora Memorial Award.
14.Felicitation of students who have excelled in various fields: With an objective to encourage the students to excel in various fields of their interests such as: sports, art, literature, acting, fashion design and entrepreneurship, the College duly facilitates such student achievers.Success:
• Success in mentor-menteeprogram: Multi-faceted individuals with a strong sense of self, social consciousness and healthy mind are the products of these activities.
• Progression to Higher Studies: A good number of students progressed to higher studies and enrolled themselves in reputed institutions all over India.
• Development of soft-skills
• Success in competitive examinations
• Success in self-employability
• Success in extra-curricular activities
• Building self-confidence
• Assertion of self-identity
• Improvement in health and nutrition
• Progress of slow learners
Problems encountered and resources required:
Lack of adequate faculty members is a major hurdle in implementing the best practice. The very busy schedule of semester system compels the faculty members to focus more on the completion of syllabi within the stipulated period. Also, the devastating impact of Covid-19 pandemic in the past couple of years resulted in fewer interactions with the students. As each student has her own individual identity, collective attention sometimes may not be enough to address diverse issues of the students. There has to be a constant and conscious effort to find the time, motivation and necessary energy from both students and teachers to ensure the continued success of this practice. Diverse socio-economic-linguistic background of the students must be dealt sensitively to achieve a very satisfactory implementation of this practice.